Cigar Etiquette

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      El Jefe
      Keymaster

Discuss cigar etiquette here! See El Jefe’s post on cigar etiquette here.

El Jefe
      Keymaster

Regarding etiquette, I’ve also read here that, “(you should never) use a cigar holder. This isn’t a cigarette and you’re not Cruella DeVille. Smoking a cigar is about relying on all of your senses, including touch. You want to feel the cigar in your hand. You can often feel if it’s beginning to burn too hot or if the leaves are fragmenting at all should it be an improperly filled cigar.”

CigarBenjy
      Keymaster

I’d like to add one:

You’re not a litterbug, so if you drop the cigar, pick it up.

CigarBenjy
      Keymaster

You’re not a freeloader, so don’t mooch cigars.

It’s frowned upon by most of you beg for a stick (especially if you covet an expensive one) Most will offer one if you’re late to the party. But it’s customary to expect that at some point you will then be the guy sharing some smokes.

Expert tip: when a buddy offers you a cigar, receive it with thanksgiving—don’t rob him of the joy of sharing!

Rav Dov
      Participant

I was taught to let it burn down close to the band before removing it. That way it warms up the glue so it will not tear the wrapper leaf. I use this practice regularly.

El Jefe
        Keymaster

Just don’t wait until you smell the paper burning.

CigarBenjy
        Keymaster

Rav-

We need to work on a fitting avatar for you.

Rav Dov
          Participant

Well El Jefe’s looks just like him but any pic of an actor handsome enough to play me probably has a copyright on it 😂 Of course they would also be so old maybe copyright has expired.

CigarBenjy
      Keymaster

Rav

That’s what I usually do and for the same reason.

Most times when I try to peel the band before lighting, it feels like the wrapper may tear.

El Jefe
      Keymaster

Does such mooching etiquette apply to drinks as well?

CigarBenjy
        Keymaster

Hmmm…a good topic for discussion.

If you smoke with guys that don’t offer you a drink, find another group!

El Jefe
      Keymaster

CigarBenjy: “You’re not a litterbug, so if you drop the cigar, pick it up.”

I also apply the five-second rule when picking up my cigar that I accidentally dropped.

CigarBenjy
        Keymaster

Are you smoking it or eating it?

Rav Dov
      Participant

Delete it or else.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.